Trull Lawn Tennis Club originated out of the tennis section of the Trull Sports Club that was based in Amberd Lane, Staplehay.
In 1948 difficulties arose about the Sports Club’s tenure of the site and at an EGM of the tennis section on 2nd June it was resolved that they give up possession of the existing courts and buy land at the rear of the Crown Inn, Staplehay and start a new club there. On 30th March 1949 the constitution of Trull Tennis Club was approved. The first adult annual subscription was 2 guineas (or £2.10) and there were 109 adult members. The current site had been purchased from Mr.Eli James Dunn for £120 and by 16th April the 2 hard courts and later 2 grass courts were in use.
By 1st July 1949 the new Club was down to its last £10 and plans to erect the pavilion brought from Amberd Lane in 2 sections were put on hold. The situation was saved by an offer from the committee member and captain, Mr Beer who gave the Club £25 to lay the foundations for the pavilion. The Club played 12 matches in that first year.
In those early years the Club had a large overdraft and about one third of the Clubs income was raised through dances which took up most of the committee’s time.
In 1958 all courts were changed to hard courts. In 1962 Trull become a Company Limited by Guarantee.
In the late 1960s the club saw a decline in membership and publicity drives were mounted. In the early 1970s the netting became a bit decrepit and there were no gates to the courts. If the last member forgot to replace the vital bit of angle iron then neighbouring cows enjoyed a wander. First task next day was to use a shovel.
Trull LTC has since enjoyed grants from the Sports Council and Taunton Deane Borough Council to erect flood lights and resurface courts.
During the 1980s and 1990s the club was strong with many social and league players.
From 2000 membership started to decline with many of the older social members hanging up their tennis rackets. However the league players have remained strong particularly the men who have won the Mens’ Yeovil and District Tennis league several years in succession. Due to increased promotional and marketing activities, our very successful junior coaching programmes and LTA sponsored events aimed at increasing participation we have managed to increase the membership in the last few years and now have thriving club sessions both summer and winter.